Roadside Truck Resistant Kerb Lintel
Availability: Lead time 7 to 14 business days from time of order
* Typical 2.4m metre drain length
HEAVY DUTY, SAFE & TOUGH METAL DESIGN
FACTORY DIRECT, 100% AUSTRALIAN MADE
DELIVERED ANYWHERE IN AUSTRALIA
CUSTOM SIZING MADE FOR SITE CONDITIONS
We designed our drain lintel replacement to help local councils reduce their roadway repair and maintenance costs. The reason most concrete kerb lintels get broken is that the wheel loads exceed the existing concrete lintel’s strength so you see them often getting broken by trucks or busses.
In most cases, the common repair method is to replace the lintel with a precast concrete one which costs time, money and labour. This becomes a waste of money as typically it only takes a few days for the lintel to be broken again as another heavy vehicle drives over it.
Many councils in Australia now choose to upgrade to using steel lintel replacements. ENCAT is a steel lintel supplier in Australia that has designed & manufactures our patented truck resistant product. This patented Kerb Lintel TTU (Tough Truck Upgrade) costs less than the install cost to replace a concrete lintel & is better than most basic steel alternatives/ Read our story on why we made this product here.
This means it is a once-off repair cost as the drain will now withstand practically all truck and bus wheel loads and should not require repairs in the future. Ideal for dealing with heavy haulage transport trucks.
This keeps pedestrians safe & reduces the annual maintenance bills for local councils, especially ones that have a high proportion of roadways that are used by heavy vehicles carrying freight or even public transport buses.
ENCAT has been supplying national parks, building contractors, councils, shopping centres and civil construction companies since 1989. Our products are designed and manufactured to meet Australian standards and safety requirements.
The NSW Transport Roads and Maritime provide the specifications for stormwater drainage lintels that need to be used on roadways with two options provided which are;
- Wet cast lintels used for stormwater purposes with steel reinforcement using wet cast concrete.
- Lintel and full kerb units used for stormwater purposes with reinforced concrete.
For some corners heavy vehicles are ‘clipping’ the corner or verge where a precast lintel is installed very regularly due to local road conditions. Damage to a lintel is rarely a singular event and the damaged lintels are often proof of this. The reason ‘clipping’ may occur is due to different factors including;
- The roadway is too narrow.
- High traffic volumes or standing traffic restrict a heavy vehicle from performing a wide swing across the other side of the roadway to complete their turn.
- The corner radius is too small for the vehicle that is attempting to make a turn.
- There is a change of traffic use.
- There is an incorrectly rated lintel installed at the site.
- Poor driving standards or efforts to avoid mounting the kerb.
- Road blisters prevent the heavy vehicle from using a path to prevent clipping the kerb.
- The proximity of traffic light poles, safety cameras or other potential obstructions require the heavy vehicle to ride over the kerb to negotiate the corner safely.
- Material: Steel
- Colour: Silver to blend into the concrete guttering
- Weight: Varies based on the application and size
- Lengths: 1.8m, 2.4m, 3m lintel sizes can be made or we can custom manufacture to your specific site requirements based on existing conditions.
- Shapes: Straight or radial lintels to suit kerb corner installations are available and are measured, designed and manufactured to suit the site location.
- Other names:
– Stormwater roadside units– Stormwater pit
– Letterbox head
Additional information about ENCAT's Truck Resistant Kerb Lintel
ENCAT is Australia’s largest manufacturer and supplier of products used for civil applications in public spaces. Since 1989 we have been designing and manufacturing products used by councils, national parks, schools, universities and other locations. While we specialise in pedestrian fencing we have the skills, tools and equipment to design products to solve many different civil engineering requirements or applications.
- Custom design and engineering.
- Local manufacturing and fabrication.
- Experience working in difficult to access public spaces.
- In-house expertise, tooling and equipment.
Everything we fabricate is compliant with Australian laws and requirements with a focus on keeping people safe & reducing the total cost of ownership for site owners or managers.
Concrete lintel manufacturers don’t sell steel lintels because they enjoy the ongoing business that comes from needing them to be replaced. Using our steel lintel replacement will avoid the need to repair or replace broken concrete ones.
- 100% Australian Made.
- Certified Welding to AS1554
- Hot Dip Galvanising to AS1214
Frequently asked questions
ENCAT’s steel drain lintel replacement item can be supplied in standard 2.4m lengths from $2,600 ex gst supply only or $4,500 supply and fit. We can also manufacture other lengths to suit your existing site conditions for straight or curved verges.
Concrete stormwater lintels are generally sufficient for most roadways. Although if a section of road is used by heavy vehicles, especially on or near corners, then a steel stormwater lintel may be a better installation choice to cope with vehicles clipping the corners. ENCAT’s steel stormwater lintel replacement is a patented design that is made in Australia to withstand the heavy loads of most large vehicles.